Monday, January 15, 2018

Amelia's First Youth Talk - My Feelings About the Book of Mormon



This lovely young woman spoke as a youth speaker for the first time this past Sunday.  She spent the week prior gathering her thoughts and getting them typed up on the computer.  Saturday, I went through her thoughts with her and we put them in an order that would flow well.  Because she struggles with her reading fluency, she practiced her talk over and over until she felt comfortable.  

Just before the end of 2017, I was called to be the Ward Music Chairman. I was acting as chorister this past Sunday and got to sit on the stand next to her.  As the meeting started, I leaned over to ask her if she was nervous and she said yes.  I reminded her that she could pray and ask Heavenly Father to help her feel calm and confident.  During the passing of the sacrament, I leaned over again and asked her how she felt.  She said she felt calm and ready. And she was! She did a terrific job!

Here is the talk she gave.

In True to the Faith, it says, "When holy men of God write or speak by the power of the Holy Ghost, their words shall be scripture, shall be the will of the Lord, shall be the mind of the Lord, shall be the word of the Lord, shall be the voice of the Lord, and the power of God unto salvation."

This means that the Lord teaches us through the Book of Mormon and other scriptures about how we can be come like him and return to live with him again.

On September 22, 1827, an angel named Moroni - the last Book of Mormon prophet, deliverd these records to the Prophet Joseph Smith.  By the gift and power of God, the Prophet Joseph translated the record into English.  Joseph Smith said that the Book of Mormon is the keystone to our religion.

The primary purpose of the Book of Mormon is to convince all people "that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations."

In 2 Nephi, chapter 25, verse 23 and 26, it says, "For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God...  And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins."

I am grateful that ancient prophets wrote the Book of Mormon so that I can know that I can repent and live with my father again.  I am also grateful that I learn about Jesus Christ in the Book of Mormon.

My favorite part of the Book of Mormon is when Jesus Christ comes.  I like that he invited the children to come to him and that he blessed them.  It shows me that even though I wasn't there, if Jesus came today, he would invite me to come to him and he would bless me and he would show me my Heavenly Father's love.

I know the Book of Mormon is true because when I read it I feel a special feeling.  I know that Joseph Smith translated the Book of Mormon and that he was a prophet of God.  The Book of Mormon teaches us that families can be together forever, and I know that's true.  I know that Presidnet Monson was a true prophet and that he did a lot for us.  I know that Jesus made a way for us to get back to our Heavenly Father.  I know that Heavenly Father and Jesus love me because they look out for me and help me in hard times.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I've rambled long enough, why don't you ramble and tell me what's on your mind.