Saturday, March 18, 2023

Thoughts on Holiness

A short talk I gave at our Stake Sister's Conference in March 2023.

credit


The question, “What would a holy woman do?” causes a bit of uneasiness within me. In my fallen brain, this question can lead me to comparison and lack. As a recovering perfectionist who struggles to see and value my contributions, I constantly battle feelings of being enough. However, I desire with every bit of my soul for holiness.

For me, holiness is the process of seeking and submitting to the enticings of the Holy Ghost to guide my thoughts, words, and actions. Then trusting my heart to Jesus Christ to be transformed through the grace and mercy of His Atonement.

When asked to take on this assignment, I was deep in the middle of some frustrating and stressful situations. As I continued my daily efforts to connect with Heaven, and sought holiness, my Heavenly Father took my small efforts and taught and reminded me of a few things I’ll share with you.

First, I need to recognize and acknowledge that in many ways I am already a holy woman—more than I give myself credit for.

Second. I will look up rather than around at others. I will seek my Father’s will and validation in my pursuit of holiness.

Third, Holiness is about my focus on Jesus Christ and the condition of my heart.

Fourth, I lack, and I will continue to lack. That binds me to my Savior. During this holiness exercise, and due to some of the circumstances I mentioned earlier, for several days, I found myself terribly off-course mentally and emotionally, even though I pleaded for strength, patience, peace, and perspective. I accept that I stumble because of my weakness. I will trust in the power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and move forward.

Fifth, Holiness is not an event. It’s a life-long process, a practice. I will continue to close the gap by yielding to the enticings of the Spirit. The Holy Ghost loves me perfectly, so I can trust the guidance I receive. 

Sisters, I doubt I’ll ever feel perfectly holy in this life. But, I will strive to become exact in my efforts for holiness. And I can repent when I fall short of that goal. I want to become like my Savior. If I know nothing else, I know He is holiness. I know He is compassionate, forgiving, patient, and merciful. Those are some of His holy qualities I want to practice with myself as I strive to become holy like He is.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I've rambled long enough, why don't you ramble and tell me what's on your mind.