Saturday, February 9, 2008

stupid cupid

i am not a huge fan of valentine's day. it's not that i don't believe in love or blah, blah, blah.... and it's not because i never have a valentine (i have had one for the past 8 years). i don't scorn those who love the holiday. spread the joy and love i say, just don't ask me to join in.

do i really need to have a day spelled out for me when i should tell people that i love them and i am glad they are in my life? isn't that something i should be doing everyday?

nathan and i.... we've never been big valentine day celebrators. the only "big thing" we've done is the year after isaac was born, nate's parent's watched the boys while we bought filet minon and lobster tails and cooked them at home. i made baked potatoes, homemade horseradish and cheesecake for dessert. we sat in our little kitchen and ate by candlelight. the dinner was good and of course the company was excellent.

i remember making valentine cards for each person in my class when i was in elementary school and for the other kids in the neighborhood. i remember pain stakingly selecting each candy heart to go in the envelope. i had to be sure that an "i love you" or "kiss me" heart was not put in an inappropriate envelope. then we would go drop our cards on people's door steps, ring the door bell and run away. (i wonder if it ever occurred to us that as soon as they opened the card they would know who it was from...) anyway, it was fun.

so maybe i can make this holiday about my kids. we'll make the heart-shaped sugar cookies, and I will help them put together their valentine cards. i want them to have memories like i did.

so what is it that i am trying to say? i am going to try a little harder. not a lot harder, but a little harder. i changed my blog layout to be more valentine-friendly. i actually got a "happy valentine's day" thing to hang on my front door, i got valentine cards for the kids, and i even thought about getting out my heart-shaped cookie cutters. now if i could just get JEN to give me her yummy pink sugar cookie recipe, i'd be set. (jen, it's the one that you put the flavoring in...)

anyway, even though i may dislike the day, i love my valentine....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've rambled long enough, why don't you ramble and tell me what's on your mind.