Tuesday, October 9, 2012

an early morning mystery


i awoke this morning at 4:30 am to the sounds of clara crying and screaming "MIA"!  occasionally she will wake at night crying but quickly settles down.  after about a minute though, i decided to go and get her and just bring her in bed with us for our last hour of sleep.

i stumbled through the dark house to her room and walked towards the now quiet sounds of "mama". i grabbed her from her bed and snuggled her back to my room and put her between me and nathan's sleeping body and we both quickly fell back to sleep.  about 5:00 am, she began to stir a little and so i reached for her to pull her close to me, afraid she might be getting a little cold.  well, she was cold.  not only cold but her pajamas were wet!  figuring that her diaper must have leaked, i pulled myself out of bed and went to the bathroom to get a towel to wrap her in.  at this point you may be wondering what kind of mother i am to just wrap my child in a towel when she is clearly wet. well let's refer back to the time of day.  thinking clearly in a semi-conscious state is not my forte.  i thought, it's only 30 more minutes until we get up.  I'll just hold her close to me and keep her warm.

i returned to bed with the towel, wrapped her in it and fell back to sleep.  we slept the last 30 minutes peacefully.

just before the alarm went off i awoke again and decided to just get up.  carefully moving so as not to disturb clara, my hand touched her bare skin where her diaper should have been.  she didn't have a diaper on!  no wonder she was cold and wet.  where was her diaper? 

her diaper was in her wet bed.  it must have come off/she took it off at some point during the night and when she wet the bed this morning it must have woken her up. poor girl!  i ran a warm bath for her and  took the bedding to the washing machine.

the point of my story? if your child starts to cry in the middle of the night and they don't usually do that, there is probably a really good reason for it.

At any rate, my little clara is a lover!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I've rambled long enough, why don't you ramble and tell me what's on your mind.