Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Book of Mormon Scripture Reading with a Study Guide

I found a great resource online a couple of months ago.  A woman named Heather Martinson put together a Book of Mormon Study Guide for her 11 year-old son.  Then, she made it available online for others to download.

Her copy was an awesome idea and a great start, but I decided to go through and edit the format a little and add pictures from the church's website.

I really like that Sister Martinson (I am acting like I know her, but I have never met her) broke out the reading into do-able sections.  None of them are lengthy and we are usually able to get through each section, with discussion time, in about 15-25 minutes depending on how long-winded Nathan and I get.

After I had finished formatting, I printed copies for each person in my family (minus Clara) and put them in 3-ring binders.  This is what we now use to study scriptures each morning.  Since Sister Martinson is planning to publish this one day and has copyrighted it, I don't think it would be appropriate for me to post my version of her study guide here for you to download.  If you want it, you can comment with your email address or email me and I will send you what I have.  Or you can just jump over to her site and download her version (It is a word document).

We gather around the kitchen table each morning with our scriptures, study guide binders, and colored pencils and read and discuss a section.  Each section has questions to answer and ideas to think about.  We answer the questions and talk about what we are reading. When we read Lehi's dream, the kids drew what they were hearing in their binders.  There is also a map, a timeline, a heros/anti-heros, and a progression chart that comes along with the study guide.

The kids seem to be enjoying it and I hope that they are learning more than if we just read a chapter each morning.





If you do decide to start studying the Book of Mormon with her study guide, she would really appreciate feedback:
I realize there are many misspellings and common typing mistakes in this version of the study guide. I am working on those. The input that is most valuable to me right now is the content. My son once told me that it's a little frustrating sometimes when the study guide only echos what the Book of Mormon teaches without giving any new information. He also mentioned that there are some passages that aren't discussed in the study guide and wishes there was something there. This is the kind of input that is most valuable to me.

1 comment:

I've rambled long enough, why don't you ramble and tell me what's on your mind.