Friday, January 31, 2014

Finding Happiness through Obedience

Many people in the world believe that the commandments are a burden and obedience to the commandments will limit personal freedom and growth. However, in the LDS church, we are taught that this is not the case. From a very young age we learn that the commandments are for our benefit. They are for our spiritual and temporal well-being and they show us how to be happy. 

“God is not a celestial politician seeking our vote. Rather, God is to be found, and God is to be obeyed.”  Then, he went on to say, "The satisfying thing is that obedience brings happiness; it brings peace; it brings growth."
It is not always easy or popular to keep the commandments, but "God is not seeking our vote". He knows what we should and should not do to be happy in this life and in the next. He loves each of us and wants to help us, so he has given us rules to guide us.
  • If we choose to keep the commandments, why do we obey?
  • Is it because we fear punishment or the negative consequences that might follow? 
  • Is it because we want the blessings and rewards for living a good life? 
  • Is it because we love God and want to serve him? 

Throughout my life my reasons for being obedient have flip-flopped between all of these. This is not to say that I don’t love God or want to serve him or make him happy, there have just been times that I knew the only way to obtain the blessings I wanted or needed would come through being more obedient. At times, even when I really didn't feel like it, I was purposely more obedient because my life was not going great and I knew that in order for my circumstances to improve, I had to keep the commandments to receive blessings. 

There are also times that I obey because I fear losing the blessings that I have come to depend on. For example, paying tithing. Sometimes I worry that if I didn't pay my tithing I would not be able to meet the rest of my financial obligations. I fear that Heavenly Father would withhold the financial blessings that I know he gives me. 

When talking about obedience to commandments, the first commandments that come to my mind are the some of the Standard Mormon Answers: Reading the scriptures, daily prayer, family prayer and family home evening and temple attendance. There are some bigger commandments out there (like the 10 commandments), but these are some of the daily basics that we are taught.

Sometimes it seems to me that these basics can be harder to obey than the bigger ones. It is fairly easy for me to not go around killing people, but taking the time everyday for scripture study and prayer can be a challenge. However, if we do make it a priority to keep these basic commandments we will be blessed greatly. The Prophet Joseph Smith taught this principle when he said
"There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—and when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law…" (D&C 130:20-21). 
We always hear that we will be blessed for our obedience, so what are some of the things we are promised for obedience to these Standard Mormon Answers. If you don't think these are commandments, I suggest you listen a little more closely next General Conference. :)

Daily Scripture Study
As we read the scriptures, we learn the commandments and what is expected of us in this life. We learn more about the nature of Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and we learn what we need to do to become more like them. This reading gives us a better understanding and a greater knowledge of the gospel. This in turn can build our faith and increase our confidence in teaching the gospel to our children. 

But it also provides a more focused life.  As we read about the struggles of others, we realize that our lives have a divine purpose.  We are not here by chance and we are not left to wander in this existence alone. We learn through scripture stories and teachings that God is aware of us, loves us, and wants to bless us.

Daily Prayer
I once heard of a Primary teacher who asked a little boy if he said his prayers every night. “Yes,” he replied. “And do you always say them in the morning, too?” the Primary teacher asked. “No,” the boy replied. “I ain’t scared in the daytime.” 
President Faust concludes by saying: "Fear of the dark should not be our only motivation to pray—morning or night." 
I have to admit that I have been like this little boy at times, and only remembering to pray when I want or need something. It is important to remember that through prayer we are able to communicate with our literal Father in Heaven as often as we choose.  We can seek his guidance for issues and struggles that we are going through. As our Father, anything that is important to us is equally important to him.  

Through daily prayer, we are able to receive promptings and revelation to guide us in our daily lives.  This comfort, guidance and protection will surely bring us peace and happiness. 

Daily Family Prayer – 


In 3 Nephi 18:21, the Savior told us, 
“Pray in your families unto the Father, always in my name, that your wives and your children may be blessed.” 
Hopefully, as my family is obedient to this commandment I will find more peace in my life because my children will love each other more and fight less often. 

Weekly Family Home Evening –
Concerning Family Home Evening, President Faust has said
“Regular participation in family home evening will develop increased personal worth, family unity, love for our fellowmen, and trust in our Father in heaven. It is our promise that great blessings will come to all who conscientiously plan and hold weekly family home evenings.” 
Not only do we teach the gospel and other important life lessons during family home evening, we also build unity as a family.   I know that when I feel a sense of unity in my little family, I am happy.

Regular Temple Attendance – 


A few years ago, I received a magnet I keep on the side of my refrigerator. It is a quote from Vaughan J. Featherstone, and it says:
“If our people will faithfully attend the temple the Lord will bless them in the following ways, 1. Greater love and unity in the home; 2. Businesses and professions will prosper; 3. Their children will be saved; 4. Angels will protect them.” 
Finally, obedience to all of these basic commandments invites the Holy Ghost to be our companion and increases our sensitivity to his promptings and guidance. The Holy Ghost provides comfort, hope and confidence, which to me is happiness. 

COMFORT + HOPE + CONFIDENCE = HAPPINESS

"I give unto you directions how you may act before me, that it may turn to you for your salvation. I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise." 
“In obedience there is joy and peace unspotted, unalloyed; and as God has designed our happiness … He never will institute an ordinance or give a commandment to His people that is not calculated in its nature to promote that happiness which He has designed, and which will not end in the greatest amount of good and glory to those who become the recipients of his law and ordinances. When the Lord commands, do it.” 

I think it is important to distinguish between the type of happiness I am talking about and fun. A lot of people want to have fun and feel that obedience to God’s commandments will limit their fun. 

“I looked them up in the dictionary to find out what each of them meant. Fun is play, pleasure, gaiety, merriment, source of enjoyment, amusement, to behave playfully, playful, often a noisy activity, and teasing. Happiness is contentedness, joy, delight, and satisfaction.
Happiness is much more than just fun. Fun is just a fleeting moment, but happiness is a lasting thing.
Many people in this world do not understand the difference between fun and happiness. Many try to find happiness having fun, but the two words have different meanings.
All who seek full happiness can find it in the gospel of Jesus Christ, taught in His Church. Through Christ’s doctrine, we are taught that we can be part of the great plan of happiness that He has prepared for all of us. As we keep His commandments, we are blessed and come to know true happiness. We learn that happiness lies in doing small things that build us up, that increase our faith and testimony. Small things we do in our everyday lives… True happiness comes from keeping the commandments of God.” 
At this point in my life, I need and want as much of the happiness Elder Costa spoke of as I can. I like to have fun just as much as the next person, but what I really desire is contentedness, joy, delight and satisfaction in my life. And as he explained, this kind of happiness comes from obeying and keeping the commandments of God. 

“Happiness leaves no bad after-taste, it is followed by no depressing reaction; it calls for no repentance, brings no regret, entails no remorse; pleasure too often makes necessary repentance, contrition, and suffering; and, if indulged to the extreme, it brings degradation and destruction.” 
I know our Heavenly Father loves each of us and that more than anything he wants us to be happy. He has given us commandments to guide our lives so that through our obedience we can return to live with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've rambled long enough, why don't you ramble and tell me what's on your mind.