Thursday, May 2, 2013

Bacon and Pea Macaroni & Cheese

I found this recipe via Pinterest here and adapted it for my own use.  I'm always a little nervous making Pinterest recipes for the first time because you never quite know how they are going to turn out. 

This one was a good one.  The kids like it, the hubby likes it, it is super easy to make and takes almost no time to whip up.  It's a win for everyone.



Bacon and Pea Macaroni & Cheese

Ingredients
2 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
1 small bag of frozen peas
4 slices bacon
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 Tbsp hot sauce
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup Colby Jack cheese, shredded
salt and pepper

Directions
Cook bacon until crispy.  Set aside on a paper towel to cool.

Meanwhile, in a large sauce pan, cook pasta according to package directions.  Add the peas during the last minute of cooking.  Drain pasta and peas.  Retain about 1 cup of pasta water for later use.

Return the pasta and peas to the pot and pour in the pasta water you kept.  Add yogurt, hot sauce and about 1/3 of the cheese.  Stir until cheese is melted and add a 1/3 more cheese.  Stir again and add the rest of the cheese.

Crumble bacon and add to pot.  Stir until combine. Add salt and pepper to your taste.

My tips:
Don't be scared away by the hot sauce, you can barely even taste it.

I didn't have any bacon on hand when I made this recipe and took the picture, so I used a bottle of bacon bits. I have also used canned peas before.  not as good, but not horrible either.

This feeds my family of 6.

I am thinking of adding a little spicy mustard next time to see what kind of flavor that will give it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've rambled long enough, why don't you ramble and tell me what's on your mind.