Tuesday, September 24, 2013

How Do the Things I Say Affect Those Around Me? Lesson Handout & FHE Lesson

I mentioned last week, that my Mia Maid advisor related a quote from the talk Thy Speech Reveals Thee by L.Tom Perry about correcting speech habits using a 3-step method.  She was leading our discussion for September's Come Follow Me lesson topic: How Do the Things I Say Affect Those Around Me?

Here is the printable that I made so that I can hang it up and remind myself.

As I have been trying to focus on these 3 steps over the past week, I have found that this method works not only for correcting a swearing habit, but also is a great method to speak more nicely to those around you.

I used the handout I created last night for Family Home Evening.  I gave a lesson on speaking more kindly and using better language within our family.  A couple of great songs to sing with this lesson are, Kindness Begins With Me, Let Us Oft Speak Kind Words, Love is Spoken Here, and Love At Home.

I started out by reading Ephesians 4:29-32 and asked the kids to listen for what we weren't supposed to do and what we were supposed to do.
 29 Let no corrupt acommunication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
 30 And agrieve not the holy bSpirit of God, whereby ye are csealed unto the day of redemption.
 31 Let all bitterness, and wrath, and aanger, and clamour, and bevil cspeaking, be put away from you, with all dmalice:
 32 And be ye akind one to another, tenderhearted, bforgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.
We talked about what "corrupt communication" could mean.  We also talked about what being tenderhearted meant.

Then I showed the kids this sign I had printed and framed.

credit

We talked about each letter and tried to think of examples of when each question would help us decide whether to say something or not.  We are going to put this in our kitchen to remind us to "THINK" before we speak.

Finally, I showed them this printout about the difference between "Informing" and "Tattling".

credit

Finally, here are the links to my printout.  You can either print the full page version, or 2 per page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've rambled long enough, why don't you ramble and tell me what's on your mind.