Thursday, September 19, 2013

Three Things Thursday

I've never heard of 3 Things Thursday either, but let's just go with it.


Numero Uno (#1 - for all of you non-Spanish speakers):  I am loving iOS 7.  I downloaded it promptly yesterday and really haven't had a ton of time to play on it, but what I have seen I really like.  Now I just need to convince that man I married to upgrade me to one my Numero Dos.


Numero Dos: Ladies and Gentlemen I proudly introduce you to the iPhone 5s Silver.  Isn't she pretty! She will be mine, oh yes, she will be mine.

Numero Tres: Last Sunday, my Mia Maid advisor shared a quote from Elder L. Tom Perry about how to learn to correct our speech if one is in the habit of swearing.  I wrote down the steps he listed and have been trying to practice them this week, not only with not swearing, but also with my tone of voice. Sometimes, I can come off more rough than necessary, especially with the people I love the most, my husband and children.  Elder Perry's formula works for that as well.  Here's the direct quote from the August 1986 New Era article, Thy Speech Reveals Thee:
To anyone who has followed the practice of using profanity or vulgarity and would like to correct the habit, could I offer this suggestion? First, make the commitment to erase such words from your vocabulary. Next, if you slip and say a swear word or a substitute word, mentally reconstruct the sentence without the vulgarity or substitute word and repeat the new sentence aloud. Eventually you will develop a non-vulgar speech habit.
This quote was also rerun in July 2007 in the Liahona Magazine, which you can find here, in a little different format.  I guess 21 years later, the wise leaders of our church still found his advice to be needed and true!
To anyone who has followed the practice of using profanity or vulgarity and would like to correct the habit, could I offer this suggestion?
  1. 1. 
    Make the commitment to erase such words from your vocabulary.
  1. 2. 
    If you slip and say a swear word or a substitute word, mentally reconstruct the sentence without the vulgarity or substitute word.
  1. 3. 
    Repeat the new sentence aloud.
Eventually you will develop a nonvulgar speech habit.
I need to create a cute little .pdf poster with these steps on it, to hang up and remind me.  But that will be for another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've rambled long enough, why don't you ramble and tell me what's on your mind.